UUID issue with new hard-drive

I just added a new hard-drive to my system. I created an ext3 partition and used vol_id and blkid to show the UUID. Based on that information, I edited the /etc/fstab file accordingly. When I try the sudo mount -a command, I get

mount: special device /dev/disk/by-uuid/*the uuid of the new partition* does not exist

and the mount fails.
To resolve that, just use

sudo partprobe

It updates the /dev/disk/by-uuid directory and your uuid mount works like a charm.

  1. That doesn’t work in Ubuntu Linux 😛

  2. It works, trust me. Did you try it?

  3. No, doesn’t work in ubuntu server 8.04. Anybody knows how to get it working?

  4. Thank you so much for this. Worked in Ubuntu server 8.04 after I finally got around to partitioning my new hard drive. If it didn’t work, make sure you got the UUID correct by checking the output of blkid.

Leave a Comment


NOTE - You can use these HTML tags and attributes:
<a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

By continuing to use the site, you agree to the use of cookies. more information

The cookie settings on this website are set to "allow cookies" to give you the best browsing experience possible. If you continue to use this website without changing your cookie settings or you click "Accept" below then you are consenting to this.

Close